February 3, 2009

Dandelion Destruction

Dandelions. They're not all bad. I tried to embrace them. I think I did. To a certain extent. But now, they've taken over about 1/3 of our back yard and I've had it.

I knew I had to get rid of them, but didn't want to go the vinegar route since it kills everything it touches. I didn't want to go with anything synthetic because, really, I think my agricultural surroundings are adding enough chemicals to the groundwater.

What's a girl to do?

Buy a Hound Dog Weed Hound, of course!

I'm sure there are similar tools available elsewhere, but I got mine here.

I put together a little video demo for your viewing pleasure.

I learned I should not pan around quite so quickly. Also, I should stop saying, "handy dandy." Twice in a 1 min. 37 sec. video is just too much. Clearly, I was not made for TV.


Dandelion Destruction from One Mamma on Vimeo.

So, tell me, how do you deal with weeds in your yard? Do you have a yard? What are your garden plans for this spring/summer/fall?

I'll be sharing more details into our plans for an expanded garden as they come to fruition with lots of helpful links!