May 28, 2008

The Dandelion-Vinegar Project

In an effort to discover if Apple Cider Vinegar will, in fact, kill weeds, I devised a highly scientific and specific experiment with exactly zero control groups.

I chose two dandelions to try to obliterate. I used a household spray bottle filled with straight Apple Cider Vinegar.

Day One:

Dandelion One, I used a stream of vinegar right to the center of the plant.


Dandelion Two, I used a mist of vinegar to cover the entire plant.



Day Two:

As you can see, there is definitely some obliteration going on, but I'm not sure there's enough; so I hit 'em again with their respective mode of vinegar delivery.



Day Three:


That second shot of vinegar definitely seems to have done the trick! (You'll notice on Dandelion Two that the clover that surrounded the dandelion is obliterated too. Vinegar appears to be non-selective.)




The Verdict:

If you're looking for a non-selective, all natural, safe for kids & pets herbicide, I'd say Apple Cider Vinegar is it!

After I started this project, my mom found some further information in a Jerry Baker book she has that uses vinegar in a 'weed tonic'. The other ingredients were baby shampoo, Gin and water. The soap makes sense to me because it helps the other liquids adhere to the leaves, but I don't know what purpose the Gin has.

I sprayed some Bermuda and nut grass this morning to see if it will have any effect. We'll see. These are two of the hardest weeds grasses to kill.

If you try it, let me know how it goes . . .