April 25, 2008

The Fruits (and Vegetables) of My Labor

So, the straw-bale gardening is going well.


The in-ground garden is being overrun by devilish Bermuda grass and evil weeds! More on that another time.

For now, we'll focus on my more successful venture. Straw Bales! I've had the zucchini in the ground straw for about three weeks, and yesterday I spotted the first mature bloom of the season! If you look closely at where the arrow is pointing you can see the squash just beginning to form.


Look how much it grew in just one day! Since these are harvested at golf ball to cue ball size, this one zucchini should be ready in no time flat! I know, I know--it won't make a side dish on its own. But, can you blame me for being excited? It's round zucchini!



I've also got producing tomatoes . . .

And okra. Okra gets a really unfair, bad wrap! I know it can get slimy, but that's only if you don't prepare it correctly. Like raw. Really. Raw okra is fabulous. I also like it breaded and fried. But, then, I like most veggies breaded and fried so that's no surprise.

I have bell peppers and mini-bells planted (that I started from seed) in the straw as well. But until they start putting on some more leaves and actually act like they might grow and produce some peppers, I figured they didn't deserve a photo. That'll teach 'em.