June 4, 2008

Pacification

I am always amazed by the looks of dismay, the comments and, yes, even the gasps from some people I know (and those I don't) when they find out my baby *ahem* almost two-year-old still nurses once in the morning and again before bed.

I'm always so surprised by this that I can never get a 'good' response out of my mouth at the time. I usually just stand there looking feeling dumb. (Honestly I feel like Meg Ryan in 'You've Got Mail'.)

So, I'm going to throw my 'good' response out there to you, great interwebby awesomeness. (Actually, I know only a few people stop by here, but I figure if I invite all that interwebby awesomeness, maybe more will show up.)

What I would love to say . . .

I find your response interesting.

Let me ask you this: How many children do you know (your own included, of
course) who still take a pacifier when they go to bed at age two,
three, even *gasp* four?

These children not only take the pacifier to help relax them enough to fall
asleep, but often continue to use the pacifier throughout the night and into
the morning hours. Is my Sweet Pickle not doing the same in wanting to nurse
just before bed?

The difference, as I see it, is that her pacifier just happens to be
attached to me. And it happens to provide a small amount of incredibly
good-for-her breast milk each day. Oh, and she doesn't use it all night
anymore either.

Why is it the 'norm' for children to pacify themselves with a small piece
of plastic, latex or silicone and not even 'OK' for them to pacify themselves
with a warm, loving human? Their Mamma?


Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not against pacifier use. In fact, I begged my Sweet Pickle to just take the darned thing! on more than one occasion. She just didn't. Because she chose not to, why is it that I'm looked at as being an oddball, even a 'bad' parent?

It makes me wonder. What about you? What are your thoughts on this 'oh, so controversial' Mamma topic of the nursing toddler?