April 28, 2008

Bulk Bins

I love Sprouts. If you don't have a Sprouts near you, I'm sorry. I used to have to drive about 30 miles to go to this store. Now I only drive 20.

Sprouts is great. They have all sorts of healthy foods and cleaning products, more vitamins than even I could shake a stick at, fresh fruits and vegetables that weren't picked three weeks before they were ripe and (pause for dramatic effect) bulk bins.

Bulk bins are such a fabulous thing. I love the idea of being able to buy four chocolate covered pretzals if I want. Or three pounds of rolled oats. Or 2/3 pound of ground flax seeds. Or--you get the idea.

One of the things I routinely buy used to buy in bulk is sea salt. I say used to because I haven't been able to get over the tragic day I caught a very nice looking seven or eight year old boy completely enthralled by the feeling of dipping his hand into the salt bin and letting the fine crystals sift through his fingers. EEEEEW!

Oh, did the teacher in me ever rise up and want to whip out her 'time-out' voice.

Instead, I calmly, and I hope lovingly, pointed out that people buy that salt to use on their food and since he had put his hands in it, the salt now had all the germs from his hands in it and please, please not to put his hands in any of the other bins and please, please to go find his mommy or daddy or whoever in tarnation he was there with! OK, so I didn't actually shout that last part and I didn't actually tell him to find 'whoever in tarnation he was there with,' but I did ask him to please stay with his mommy or daddy. Thank you, dear.

I still use the bulk bins. Just not the salt. I wonder if I'll ever feel that the sea salt is free from little seven year old boy germs? I'll have to let you know.

Oh, Sprouts didn't ask me or pay me to write about them. But, if you work for Sprouts and read this and you'd like to ask me or pay me to write about your lovely store, I'd love to.