June 24, 2008

Pumpkins in June?

I planted three varieties of pumpkins this spring. Baby Boo (mini white), Jack Be Little (mini orange) and Small Sugar (baking pumpkins). All the Baby Boo vines died, as did one of the Jack Be Littles. I was left with one Jack Be Little and three Small Sugars. The Small Sugars put on very well and the pumpkins were growing well. Until last week. We had a minor major heat wave here last week with temps from around 110-116 and 2-3% humidity. Quite suddenly, my pumpkins did this



even though I watered them (on a drip system) for 8-12 hours a day and kept them shaded.



Any idea why? I'm stumped. Even the little guys turned before reaching their mature size. Was it the heat?

I guess I'll be baking a lot of pumpkins today to freeze for this fall.

UPDATE: I CAN'T COUNT--EVEN WHEN USING A CALENDAR! I planted WAY too early--I guess there's always next year!