May 19, 2010

Peanut Butter

Peanut Butter 2

Deb asked me about the frugality of making peanut butter a while back, so I bought some roasted, salted peanuts the next time I was at Sprouts so that we could check it out.

That was at least a few weeks ago, so I have no idea how much they cost. Oh, and I forgot to weigh them before starting, so as for the frugality of it, I have no idea. But Pickle thought it was fun and she loved the surprise of tasting it and realizing she'd made peanut butter!

PB makin' Pickle!

About 3 1/2 cups of roasted, salted peanuts
Kosher salt to taste

We like chunky peanut butter, so we held out about 1/2 cup peanuts.

Place peanuts in food processor. Pulse until peanuts are very small. Turn processor on and process until it looks like peanut butter. Add salt and process until well mixed. When it tastes right, add back reserved peanuts and pulse until they're as chunky as you'd like.

We had processed the peanuts a bit before I remembered to pull some out for the chunks, so ours wasn't as chunky as I'd have liked.

This yielded right at 2 cups of peanut butter, which is exactly the amount in the jar of peanut butter we normally buy. Now I just need to remember to check the price of peanuts & jarred peanut butter. :o)

Peanut Butter 1

All pictures taken w/point & shoot, no flash. The close-up is courtesy of the Pickle.