June 16, 2009

Corn, Bugs & Tomatoes

Our friend Heath just so happens to be a farmer. Farmer friends are good. Very, very good.

Heath planted two rows of sweet corn this spring. When I say he planted two rows of corn, I mean two rows, one field long. That's a lot of sweet corn. We went and picked some last night.

But, wait, there's more.


So far, I've trimmed and packaged 25 ears in Ziploc bags in the freezer. I'm going to shuck a bunch more and cut the kernels from the cob to vacuum seal and freeze.


As I was out checking the garden this afternoon, I found this bug. Laying eggs. I ran (quite literally) to get my camera to see if I could get a picture of her laying an egg.

It would seem she was done. She walked around the string . . .


Climbed up, checking each egg, then flew away.

I picked these beauties (there are a few hidden behind the striped 'Zebra') today. We'll have them with macaroni and fresh sweet corn for Pickle's birthday dinner.