October 13, 2008

The New View From My Old Hammock

It's up at last! And, of course, the first load to hang just had to be cloth nappies (Diapes, diapers, you know, doodie catchers!).

I don't know what it is that I love so much about hanging out clothes to dry, but I do. I love it. It causes me to slow down, quiet my thoughts and observe the things around me.

It's been several years since I've had my clothesline up and functioning. I'm looking forward to teaching our Sweet Pickle that peace and pleasure are found in the simple tasks of everyday life, if we're just willing to slow down and look.

I'm planning to build planter boxes and trellises for spring planting at the ends of the clothesline. I found my inspiration here. I think I'll do an early crop of peas, and then plant loofahs when the peas die off. I am excited at the prospect of hanging out the wash and picking peas all in the same trip!

One more step towards a simpler, more self-sustaining life!

What about you? Do you hang your wash? Have you ever?