March 26, 2008

Mmmm . . . Tortillas

Here it is, folks. An extremely easy, very tasty whole wheat tortilla recipe. I found this on a 2004 Titus2 message board. It was posted by leighmom.

Thanks, leighmom, wherever you are . . .

Here's what you'll need:


Wow, my walls look really yellow in this photo. They're not. I promise. They're called Lion Mane, which is not yellow. Really.

4 c. whole wheat flour (I like King Arthur--it's ground much finer than most whole wheat flours)
1 heaping teaspoon salt (the salt is in the little white bottle)
1/2 cup oil (I used olive oil, but coconut oil was also recommended)
1 1/3 cup hot water (hot tap water is fine)

That's it! Four simple ingredients that make one of the most smooth, easy to work with doughs I've ever made!

First step, add in the salt.

Next, pour in the oil.

Mix the oil in with a fork until the flour resembles a coarse meal.

Add the hot tap water and mix it with the fork (or your hands) until it forms a nice ball.

Now, plop it out onto a floured board and knead it until it is smooth and no longer sticky.

Divide the dough into equal sized pieces. I made 24 which made very thin tortillas that were about 8 inches across. Even though they were thin, they stayed soft until we'd eaten them all (which took all of six days . . . ). You could divide the dough into fewer pieces for a thicker, more bread like tortilla or for larger, thin tortillas. The sky's the limit when you make things at home!

Once the dough is divided, spray a pan with cooking spray, plunk the little dough balls in and cover tightly.

Now, this is my favorite part: you need to let the dough to sit for at least a few hours! That means I can forget all about it and not ruin it! Here's what mine looked like:

When you're ready, take a dough ball out, flour a clean cutting board and pat the ball into a little round disc. Please forgive me for not covering that yummy looking cut on the top of my finger. My band aid got soggy, and I was just too excited about these tortillas to stop to get another one!


Now use a floured rolling pin or other cylindrical object and roll out the dough to the desired size. See that little white shaker? I think it's for powdered sugar or something, but I use it to sprinkle flour when I'm baking. It's my favorite gadget.


I used my tortilla press instead of heating a skillet or griddle on the stove. I didn't actually press the tortillas, though. I tried and wasn't happy with the result, so I just used it as a griddle.


When you see little bubbles all over, it's time to flip. I gave each tortilla about 30 seconds on the other side (or however long it took me to roll out another tortilla).


Finally, leighmom had the fabulous idea to put the cooked tortillas on a cooling rack. I don't know why I never thought of this before. I always placed them between two towels. I definitely like the cooling rack method better.


There you have it! Yummy, easy, nearly impossible to mess up tortillas. Go try it out. Then come back and let me know how things went.